Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Living in the South w/o A/C is only a degree hotter than hell


My A/C started dying on me on Sunday. Came home and it was making funny noises. The weirdest part was the ring of ice around the tube connecting into the unit and the icicles hanging down. What's a girl to do about that? Call a guy which I did. They told me to turn it off and let it defrost. It apparently does happen in the South. I did. Went grocery shopping and was debating to try and fix the broken ring or hire someone. After reexamining the whole thing, I realized it needed brute strength. Also did several loads of laundry to heat up the defrost process. Next day, turned it back on. Came home to discover my A/C was moaning and groaning and shuddering uncontrollably. OMG, this is going to be the most expensive orgasm I will have to pay for. And it wasn't even mine.

So Tuesday, I made appointment for Wednesday morn between 9 and 9:30. I wait on Wednesday after taking off the morn for work. 9:30 I call. "Hey, this is me and I was trying to get a estimated time of arrival." The RESPONSE...."Hey, I got to answer the phones so can we resched?" Fine.... Saturday.

So hot so did calling around and did find someone who could do it Saturday also. Was going to drop kick first A/C guy tomorrow.

Then a miracle happened. The owner called and said "hey, how's the fixed A/C doing". Was nice and told him the whole situation of what had transpired. He kept apologizing and then SAID "Well, I talked to your husband about it"....WHAT THE HELL. Informed him that I did not have a husband. So now instead of coming on Saturday, he's coming tomorrow after my day at work and not charging me the service fee and taking off $10 every pound of freon I may need.

And I only got 15% on the Face Book "how bitchy are you" quiz.

Finally the temp upstairs is dropping to 79.

5 comments:

  1. No AC in the south? Ack. When I first moved to Charleston, I did not have AC in my car. My ob-gyn had to strong arm my husband (at the time) into having it installed, lest my health suffer. Being pregnant in South Carolina in summer pretty much sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get it fixed soon. Too hot here for no air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had this problem too last year. Came home from vacation on a Sat.night and couldn't get help until Tuesday (they were backed up). I bought a window unit from Sears and we just camped out in the bedroom. I hope it's not something huge and expensive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God, I hate the first heat wave of the year, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. similar with our ac. its always stops working. apparently they haave to Order a part so ac for a while. luckily i have a fan

    ReplyDelete