Friday, May 8, 2009

I have a tiger eye

Wouldn't change it for the world.

I actually despise Autism Speaks, Cure Autism Now and most of the other autism groups for a lot of reasons. First off, all their videos show children on the extreme tantrum spectrum. Not all autistic children are like that. Mine isn't. He internalizes his anxiety which makes it much harder to tell when he is having problems. So my child who is not a "problem child" gets ignored. Second reason is why I dislike them is their distribution of their monies. Monies from Autism Walk and etc. is not going to therapies that is usually not covered by private insurance and getting services through the school systems is a joke. Most of this raised/brought in money is not going to help children/teenagers who need services NOW. It's going to funding labs and etc. Who knows if there is ever going to be a cure for Autism. All I want to know is what is going to happen to the next generation of children when they reach adult hood.

Update: Just read that "news piece". My head is spinning. There is no current cure for Autism.

Update to the update: Just figured out my frigging links don't work. Apologies. Will figure it out sometime soon.

2 comments:

  1. I used to teach autistic kids and so I can vouch for what you've said. Their default state is not tantrum mode. It's only when their routine is broken, which happens every now and then because of unforeseen circumstances that they will occasionally throw fits. And as you've mentioned that's not all autistic kids, either.

    Each of them has unique characteristics and I got to learn them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Comrade... Just hate the people who come up to me and say well he doesn't look autistic.

    ReplyDelete